Thursday 4 June 2009

Second half of Stourhead bird survey

After leaving the footpath (from my last post) I made my way down this lane towards the lake at Stourhead. There was plenty of bird song in the trees here, Winter Wren, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Dunnock, Blackbird, Song Thrush (who was trying to drown them all out!) and a Jay making a racket! At the bottom of this lane there is a swathe of conifers where I came across a small Grey Heron rookery. Too far away for any decent photographs, but I was chuffed to see them with chicks in.This is my route down to the lake area (seen in the distance there). This lake was teaming with waterbirds in the two winter survey walks I did, but today all I could manage were some Mallards and Canada Geese and the bird below....It was great to see this pair of Great Crested Grebes on the nest. This bird certainly goes into the 'definitely breeding' category for the bird atlas!When I looked at the photos on the computer, I noticed the weird change in the colour of the lake as I moved further around taking photos (from a distance). These are cropped quite a bit.Maybe Steve B from shooting my universe blog or anyone else could tell me why this happened? I'm guessing it's a photography phenomenon?Finally, I took this photo because I liked the red and orange together and because I took a photo of it back in the winter too. These are our old style telephone boxes and you don't see many of them about nowadays! (-: Maybe I'll have some different photos to take when I have to go and do this survey again in the next couple of weeks.

11 comments:

Eve said...

That view to the lake is just beautiful Jenny, Wow. And the phone booth should be framed! Not sure about the change in water. Must be just the exposure, maybe where you metered for each different shot. I bet Steve would know!

Anonymous said...

More lovely images Jen. The walk down to the lake looks really nice.
Ref the water colour change. Maybe the the greenish colours are reflections off the tree line at the lake edge and the blue is taken at such an angle that it was reflecting the sky only.

Shelley said...

Those grebes on the nest photos were great! By the way - I have that weird lake effect on my photos too when I'm shooting the loons from my kayak.

Rural Rambler said...

Jenny lovely, lovely walk you have taken me on. I will be visiting here everyday! Thank you for coming to my blog and your nice words. I am glad you like the Suds Bun!

Jenny said...

Hi Evie, it really is a lovely spot. I'm looking foward to having to redo my survey! (-: I was on auto so wasn't metering myself, but I guess the camera does all that stuff when it's on auto mode.

Hi Roy, you, Evie and me should get together and take this walk time! Not likely to happen I guess. Yes, it could have been just the reflection of the trees and sky, I just wasn't aware of it at all at the time.

Hi Shelley, I'm glad you like the Grebes, they're stunning birds. Do you get any Grebes as well as Loons on your lake/lakes? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that water effect!

Hi RR, I'm glad you liked the walk. I have to warn you though, that I don't usually get to post every day so don't be toooooo disappointed when you check in and I haven't done stuff!

Anonymous said...

That would be great Jen.

NatureStop said...

What a beautiful place and loved the pic of the phone booth.Lovelt images of the grebes.

Chris said...

Hi Jenny,
Sounds like a nice place to walk around as you saw grebe nests!! Cool and beautiful pictures..

Quiet Paths said...

What a beautiful landscape; the walk through the trees and the pasture... ah very refreshing, Jenny!

Jenny said...

Hi Roy, if you're ever down this way, please let me know and maybe we can get out birding.

Hi there A & S, glad you liked it, when all the phone boxes were changed to a boring one, some villages patitioned to keep their old style one, so you do see the occasional one around still. They have much more character than the new ones!

Hi Chris, yes it is a great place to walk. I'm glad I've discovered it.

Hi Christine, glad you could come along with me....vicariously! (-:

Dog Trot Farm said...

Hi Jenny, I wish I were there in person to accompany you on one of your lovely walks. The scenery is just lovely.