Sunday 30 November 2008

Eagle Owl encounter

I went to the city of Bristol this afternoon to visit and catch up with a couple of birding friends that I hadn't seen for quite some time. Bristol isn't my most favourite place to visit, too big and sprawling for me, but after a short chat, we decided to try and see an Eagle Owl that has been roosting in the centre of Bristol for several months. As you can see, we did manage to find it in it's favourite roosting tree. Eagle Owls are resident in much of Europe. Recently they have bred in the north of England which has caused some controversy as they are blamed for taking cats and small dogs on occasion. They are Europe's largest Owl at between 60-73 cms (24 - 30 inches). I included this photo to show their fearsome talons! I wouldn't like to be a cat in this district of Bristol! While we watched, it did open its eyes briefly, but we were about an hour away from dusk so I don't think it was ready to venture out just yet! This is not a tickable species in Britain, but it was amazing to see such an enormous Owl in real life (I'd only ever seen one on television before).

6 comments:

Eve said...

What a great job you did Jenny! He's a little like our Great Horned Owl I think. I don't like the idea of him getting small dogs....woops...or cats!!!!

Quiet Paths said...

Yes, nice job. He's a big owl. Such nice coloring too which your photos really bring out. We have a lot of owls around here. We had a great horned juvenile nest in our big tree one winter for a couple of weeks. I was nervous for our cats but the owl never tried anything funny....

Mary said...

These are wonderful photos! I would so like to see an owl and don't know where to find one...sigh. I'm glad my kitties don't live near this guy!

Jenny said...

Hi ladies, actually I think my friend said that apparently it has mainly been taking rats, so that's a good thing. Mind you my sister in law might not agree, she used to breed and show rats! (-:

Anonymous said...

Great shots Jen.
They are enormous birds. A friend of mine use to have one as a Pet. (He bred mice to feed it would you believe) Some have escaped from captivity as well I think.

Jenny said...

Hi Roy, yes I think this one must be an escape from somewhere. It was a real thrill to see it even though.