Sunday 10 August 2008

On a twitch.

This morning, I went with a couple of birding friends down to the heathlands of Dorset to twitch a Lesser Grey Shrike. This would be a life bird for me and a Brit tick for the other two. When we arrived at Hartland Moor there were plenty of birders around to direct us towards the Shrike. It showed very well through a scope, but was, unfortunately too far away for me to try and get a photo. A stunning bird!
After spending a good half hour watching this bird feeding well on beetles, we decided to make our way nearer to the coast to do some wader watching. We ended up at a place called Little Sea where we were able to spend some time looking through wader flocks to see if we could come up with something more unusual. We didn't manage anything along those lines, but we did see Redshank, Greenshank, Black-tailed and Bar-tailed Godwits, Dunlin, Curlew, Whimbrel, Lapwing, Common Sandpiper, Oystercatchers and Little Egrets.

Most of the waders were too far away for photography, but I did manage to snap this Oystercatcher and that has been cropped quite heavily.

On the way home, we stopped at some heathland to see if we could see Woodlark or Dartford Warbler. No go on those, but the heather and gorse looked wonderful.

6 comments:

Mosura said...

Fantastic seeing the Lesser Grey Shrike..

That heathland look great. I can almost smell the heather and the heady scent of the gorse.

Eve said...

Beautiful scenery Jenny! I get the Northern Shrike here most winters. I love to see him but when he catches a chickadee it is a little sad! Still one of my favorites. I'll have to find one of my pictures.

Duncan said...

Sounds like a great day out Jenny, I'm looking forward to the shorebirds returning here.

Mary said...

What a beautiful hillside! Glad you saw your bird, even if you didn't get a picture.

Jenny said...

Hi Alan, yes I love the scent of gorse too, unfortunately it reminds me of suntan lotion!!! Still love it though. (-:

Hi Eve, we have your northern shrike here too, only in the wintertime. They're a very charasmatic bird.

Hi Duncan, I should use the word shorebirds as I much prefer it to the word waders and it is more appropriate anyway! Not long before shorebird time over there I guess.

Hi Mary, yes I was thrilled to see this bird and it was great that it was actively feeding too.

Anonymous said...

You lucky person Jennifer.