Saturday 2 August 2008

Successes and failures.

So far this year it's been a mixture of successes and failures in my vegetable garden.

Firstly the failures.......

There's my almost non existant red onions (my Mum's are 10 times bigger)!

And my smothered in Blackfly runner beans are a complete waste of time (I'm not keen on drenching my veggies in chemicals), also the Strawberry Tree has grown over my runner bean area therefore shading it way too much....that will have to be sorted for next year....

I have had a few successes however.....

There's my gorgeous gardener's delight tomatoes.........

and my superb sungold toms too.........

The Rhubarb will give up some stems to a crumble sometime soon.......

and my one and lonely (-: Red Cabbage is.......well........not too bad.....

Oh and my tatties have been brilliant, but I don't have a piccy of those today.
And of course the weeds are absolutely amazing!!! (-:

8 comments:

Eve said...

Well Jenny Wren the good stuff looks good!!! I'll be expecting piccy's of the tatties and the crumble very soon!!! ;-)

Jenny said...

Yes Maam! Tattie and tomato crumble it is then.

Mosura said...

Good to see people growing veggies. Our combined total for fruit, veg, & eggs since January 1st this year is 425 KG. That's the best I've done. Plenty of setbacks here too. We were just away for a week and returned to find that the gate must have blown open and the chooks and wallabies have eaten half the leaves on the cabbages and brussel sprouts and dug up half the onions seedlings.

Mary said...

It all looks good to me! Tomotoes look yummy! I don't have the patience for growing my own veggies. I love to eat what others grow, but spent too much time as a child working in our gardens (when I wanted to be reading a book)and just can't make myself do it now.

Jenny said...

Hi Alan. Funny you should mention sprouts as I'm thinking of grubbing up the runners and onions and planting some brussels instead. There's no point in keeping them I think.

Hi Mary, I can quite imagine that you'd be put off gardening if you were made to do it as a kid specially if you wanted to be doing sometime else! Wish I could send some toms over to you! (-:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

If you have got tommies and spuds then that is something. Perhaps spending more time in the garden and less time out with the camera?
No, forget I said that, its a silly idea. {:)

Jenny said...

I'll will forget you said that Roy! (-;
Seriously tho, it's a question of finding enough time to do everything you want I guess. Shame I have to go to work, tho at least that is only part-time.

Adrian said...

Hello Wren

Rhubbarb - YUK!!!!! AS you know our veggies are coming on a treat.....mum always stresses at the start thinking everything is going to fail...and sometimies things do! Nearly ready to start picking garden peas. Mmmmmmmmmm

See you soon, Adgi